Try this elegant, French salad for a taste of Spring and a great source of “good” fat.
- 2 Tbsp. chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard (lowest sodium available)
- 1 tsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1/4 tsp. dried dillweed (crumbled)
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 5 oz. canned, very-low-sodium chunk light tuna, packed in water, drained, flaked
- 16 large Bibb lettuce leaves (about 2 heads)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped black olives (drained)
- 2 large eggs, hard-boiled, yolks discarded and whites chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes (sliced)
Cooking Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place them in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water by 1 to 2 inches. Bring to a full, rolling boil. Remove from the heat. Let the pan stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Tap the egg and/or roll it on a flat surface to crack the shell. Peel the eggs under cool running water to easily release the white from the shell.
- In a small bowl, stir together the onion, vinegar, mustard, oil, dillweed, sugar, and pepper. Stir in the tuna. Spoon 1 tablespoon of spread onto each lettuce leaf. Top, in order, with the olives, egg whites, and cherry tomatoes.
- To eat as a wrap, fold the left and right sides of the lettuce leaf toward the center. Starting from the unfolded side closest to you, roll the wrap towards the remaining unfolded side to enclose the filling.
American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes like this from our Go Red for Women magazine cookbooks published by Publications International, Ltd. (PIL) at ShopHeart.org.