Bariatric (weight loss) surgery has been shown to be very effective to improve and sometimes relieve many medical conditions (adult-onset diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, abnormal menses/ infertility, stroke, heart disease, early death) associated with severe obesity. Typically, one will see a 40 to 70 percent excess weight loss, and this amount is dependent on the procedure and the individual response.
The bariatric team at Westmed will guide the prospective candidate through the process of determining the appropriate intervention, from medically supervised weight loss to weight loss surgery. The bariatric team includes medical and surgical physicians, nurses, dieticians, psychologists, and support groups.
Our specialists are innovators in the field of laparoscopic bariatric surgery and are dedicated to helping patients lose weight and resolve weight-related conditions—such as diabetes and hypertension—with procedures including:
- Sleeve gastrectomy, a restrictive bariatric surgery where the surgeon creates a small, sleeve-shaped stomach
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, where a small pouch is created and then attached to another part of the small intestine to reduce the amount of calories absorbed
- Gastric Balloon where an inflated balloon is left in the stomach, leaving less space for food
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, a procedure similar to the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in which the duodenum—the first portion of the small intestine—is divided, so that pancreatic and bile drainage are bypassed
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, where a band is placed around the uppermost part of the stomach
These procedures work to help patients lose excess weight, lower their BMI and transform their health so they can ultimately lead healthier happier lives.
If you’re interested in any of the above procedures, the first step is to watch an online educational seminar. You will learn about the procedures and what you can expect throughout the process at a time convenient for you from the comfort of your home. Go to: