This traditional Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dish is high in protein and has lots of healthy fats and veggies. It makes a delicious breakfast but can also be whipped up for a hearty and healthy dinner on the go.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ can tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can crushed of whole tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups of Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped, or spinach
- 6 to 8 large eggs
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add the onion and sauté over medium heat until soft and translucent. Add the bell peppers and cook them until softened. Stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Slowly pour in the crushed or whole tomatoes (if whole, then crush them with a utensil until they are coarsely broken apart). Stir in the bay leaf, salt, paprika, cumin and pepper then let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Place the swiss chard leaves on top and cover so they wilt.
- Crack the eggs into the tomato mixture, cover and simmer on low heat for approximately 10-12 minutes until the egg whites are solid. Simmer longer if you prefer to have harder egg yokes.
- If you feel like adding more flavor, you can add jalapenos, hot sauce or feta as garnish.
- Bread or challah are a great side to this dish to soak up the sauce.