Dr. Nitya Sharma, who is dual board certified in Internal Medicine and Obesity Medicine, developed Westmed’s weight management program in 2004, and has successfully treated thousands of patients using a unique and highly effective approach to weight loss that is based on science.
Whether you have 10 or 100 pounds to lose, our weight management team will create a personalized program just for you. Our comprehensive weight management program is designed to offer the most complete care through a unique multidisciplinary approach involving:
- The latest medical advances in weight management
- Identification of barriers to weight loss, including biological, psychological/behavioral and medical factors
- Individualized, healthy and balanced eating plans
- Building a ‘tool box’ of skills to achieve long-term weight loss
- Guidance on shifting to more healthy behaviors (e.g. increasing physical activity)
- Frequent monitoring to provide support and encouragement
What We Do:
After an extensive medical assessment you and the Healthy Measures Weight Management team will together determine a personalized treatment plan that will put your weight loss goals within reach. Your treatment plan may include the following:
- High protein meal replacements to help you get a ‘jump start’ on your weight loss
- A structured, low glycemic diet plan
- Medications, if appropriate, to help aid in weight loss
What the Healthy Measures Team Monitors:
- BMI (body mass index)
- Waist circumference
- Total cholesterol / LDL / HDL / triglycerides
- Fasting glucose
- Systolic and diastolic blood pressure
Meet the Healthy Measures Team:
The Healthy Measures Weight Management Program is led by Dr. Nitya Sharma, a board-certified internal medicine physician, specifically trained in obesity medicine, Jennifer Schaeffer, registered dietitian, In Jung Lifrieri, registered dietician, and Gina New, our program coordinator.
The Healthy Measures Weight Management Program dietitians are available to all Westmed patient to help tailor an individualized weight loss plan. In addition to regularly scheduled one-on-one appointments, we also offer virtual groups to provide patients with structure, accountability and a strong nutrition foundation. Groups are not covered by insurance but are offered at an affordable rate and led by registered dieticians. The following groups are currently offered:
- Healthy Measures Jumpstart Group is a virtual group designed for patients who are looking for an active weight loss program or a weight loss reset utilizing meal replacements. The group will run as an open forum and meets via Zoom once weekly for 4 weeks and can continue beyond the 4 week point depending on the patient’s weight loss goals. Meetings will be held to troubleshoot and learn from each group member’s experiences. The dietitian moderates the groups and will be available to answer any questions and provide suggestions.
- Healthy Measures Follow Up Support Group is a virtual group designed for any patients in the weight loss or weight maintenance phases of weight management. The group will run as an open forum and meet bi-weekly throughout the year. During each meeting, the dietitian will suggest a topic for discussion, and encourage group member involvement. The dietitian will be available to answer any questions related to nutrition and weight management. Participants are encouraged to share their successes, ask for advice, share recipes or new grocery items they have found, etc. This group also offers support to patients between their regularly scheduled individual appointments with their dietitian.
- Healthy Measures Nutrition Education Group is a virtual group which was developed to give people an understanding of basic nutrition, and the tools necessary to make optimal food choices. The 8-week course will outline the food groups, reading food labels, grocery shopping, quick and healthy meal options, lifestyle modifications and more. This course is appropriate for anyone looking to expand their knowledge of nutrition, with a focus on weight management and healthful eating.
If you would like to learn more about our group offerings, please contact Gina New, Healthy Measures coordinator, at 914.831.4121.