Mohs surgery is unique because when the skin tissue is removed, it is processed in a way that allows for virtually complete analysis of the margin (border) for remaining cancer cells. Additionally, the process yields relatively quick results, allowing the surgeon and patient to decide if more tissue should be removed during that same visit.
Mohs Surgery is Most Appropriate When:
- Skin cancer or abnormal cells were treated previously and recurred
- Cancerous tissues are occurring in areas where healthy issue need to be preserved for functional and cosmetic purposes, such as eyelids, nose, ears and lips
- Cancerous tissues have edges not clearly defined
- Cancerous tissues are growing rapidly or uncontrollably
- Area for removal is located in scar tissue
Advantages of Mohs Surgery: