What We Do
The aging process requires a comprehensive care plan that will maximize an individual’s independence and establish personal goals of care. At Westmed, we believe it is critically important to have a doctor who understands the complexities of aging and who takes into account physical, psychological, emotional and social well-being as elements of a care plan.
Our Services Include
We screen for and treat a variety of conditions that are prevalent in the older population, such as:
- Risk assessment for falls
- Memory loss
- Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementias
- Hypertension and heart disease
- Chronic lung and heart disease
- Review of current medications for appropriate and safe use for the elderly
- Determine if screening tests are still appropriate
- Establish advance care directives— such as end of life care
Why We are Different
Many of our older patients see a variety of specialists who may prescribe medications or order tests for one specific problem. We care for the entire geriatric patient in a holistic way, and will coordinate those recommendations to best suit the patient. When making decisions, we take into account a person’s physical, emotional and memory health. Our goal is to maximize the patient’s quality life without increasing the risk of harm that can come with some treatments.