- As of November 2, 2021 the CDC has recommended that all children ages 5 through 11 get a low-dose COVID-19 vaccine made by Pfizer-BioNTech. Please continue to check our website for appointments.
- Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine booster doses are now available at Westmed for eligible recipients who have already received their first series at least six months ago including those who are: 65 and older OR 18+ with underlying medical conditions OR 18+ who work in high risk settings OR 18+ who live in high risk settings.
- Please ensure you arrive on time for your appointment. Westmed is unable to honor COVID-19 vaccine appointments if the patient has not arrived within 15 minutes of their appointment time.
There is no doubt that the world has changed since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. We promise that the quality of care you have come to expect from Westmed will never change. We are here for you.
This is Your Shot
The COVID-19 vaccine not only protects you and your loved ones against infection, it also offers peace of mind. This is your shot to help end the pandemic.
Westmed has begun to receive intermittent shipments of vaccine. If there are no vaccine appointments available on our website please visit New York State’s COVID-19 vaccine website to make an appointment at a convenient vaccination site. As part of our continued efforts to protect you against COVID-19, we will remain a trusted resource for education about the vaccine and regular updates around vaccine arrival in our region and in our offices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Similar to the more common flu vaccine, side effects include soreness, redness and swelling at the injection site. Other less common side effects include fever, chills, fatigue, headache and muscle or joint pain. These symptoms usually indicate your immune system is working, and resolve on their own within a couple days. If they persist longer, you should contact your provider. As with all medications and vaccines, there is always a rare chance of an allergic reaction.
The vaccine should not cause respiratory symptoms, or loss of smell or taste. If you have any COVID-19 symptoms after receiving the vaccine, you should let your provider know. Remember that the vaccine does NOT cause infection, and it takes 1-2 weeks after the second dose to have its full effect.
No. Until enough people have received the vaccine, we must continue to follow all guidelines on mask use and social distancing. It remains unknown whether the vaccine prevents transmission of the virus to others.
The vaccine is very effective, but there are a small percentage of people (less than 5 percent) who may not be completely protected. In order to help protect them, we will need to continue taking precautions such as wearing masks and social distancing. Lastly, until enough people are vaccinated, it will be important to use these precautions until the COVID-19 virus is much less prevalent in the community.
Prepare for Your Appointment
What should I bring?
You will need supporting documents to show your proof of eligibility, such as the following:
- Proof of age and proof of residence in New York
- State or government-issued ID
- Statement from landlord; Current rent receipt or lease; Mortgage records
Proof of age may include:
- Driver’s License or non-driver ID
- Birth Certificate issued by a state or local government
- Current U.S passport or valid foreign passport
- Permanent resident card
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Life insurance policy with birthdate; or
- Marriage certificate with birthdate
Examples of proof of eligible employment in New York:
- an employee ID card or badge,
- a letter from an employer or affiliated organization, or
- a pay stub, depending on the specific priority status.
During Your Appointment
- Please ensure you arrive on time for your appointment. Due to high demand, Westmed is unable to honor COVID-19 vaccine appointments if the patient has not arrived within 15 minutes of their appointment time.
- You should allow for 45 minutes to one hour for your vaccine appointment.
- Only ONE parent or caregiver can accompany a minor to their appointmnent.
- After your vaccine appointment you will be asked to stay in a monitoring area for a minimum of 15 minutes.
Where do I book my second appointment?
You will book your second appointment when you arrive at the vaccination site for your first appointment.
Do I have to pay for my vaccine?
You will not have to pay for the vaccine, it is free to all Americans for the foreseeable future.
News & Stories
COVID-19 vaccine updates and information. Click the image for more.