Who We Are:
Westmed’s Complex Care Team places YOU at the center of high quality care for complex illness. Our nurse practitioners focus on maintaining a patient’s quality of life during serious illness by educating you and your loved ones to better understand your health conditions. This dedicated team helps you navigate often difficult and confusing health conditions, and works closely with you and your primary care doctor to help you make informed decisions about your medical care.
The Complex Care team at Westmed will provide an added layer of care and support at every point in the health journey: from diagnosis of a serious condition, to treatment and maintenance of long-term care, and palliation for those who need it.
Why We are Different:
Westmed’s Complex Care Team has been designed to offer high touch, patient centered, integrated care in collaboration with the patient’s primary doctor in the physician’s office. As a team, the primary care physician and nurse practitioner provide education, support, pain and symptom management as well as psycho-social and spiritual support. We are dedicated to giving you the extra time you need to decide on your personal goals, and develop a unique and individualized health care plan.
What We Offer:
- “High priority” access to our team of Complex Care Nurse Practitioners.
- A dedicated phone line, with quick & easy appointment scheduling to ensure you are seen as soon as possible.
- Longer appointments, with plenty of time to cover all of your questions and concerns.
- Answers for all of your questions, in language you can understand.
- Family discussions with our Complex Care team, so that your loved ones are kept informed.
- Evaluation and treatment for health concerns that arise such as pain, fatigue, and headaches.
- Specialists referrals, when extra care is needed.
- Guidance and support through disease progression, helping you decide “what should I do next?”
- Frequent updates to your primary care provider (PCP) and other physicians to maintain a comprehensive, team-based approach to your care.
- Work with Case Managers (e.g. social workers) to help set up other services (home care, durable medical equipment & supplies).
What to Expect at A Complex Care Appointment:
At your Complex Care appointments with Westmed, your nurse practitioner will help you answer the following questions:
- Why am I taking all of these medications, and what do they do?
- How can I make it easier to take the medications I need?
- What is causing my condition, and what can I expect to happen in the next few weeks/months/years?
- Are there other treatments are available?
- What are the risks and benefits of this treatment/procedure/medication?
- What symptoms should I expect with this condition?
- Will I be in pain, and how can I effectively manage it?
The goal is that you and your loved ones will fully understand what is happening with your health, so that you can make the decisions that are right for YOU. If you or your loved one feel this program might benefit you, please ask your Westmed primary care physician more about it.