This healthy veggie recipe is perfect healthy comfort food for the fall and it packs a protein punch!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 egg
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix quinoa and water together and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is fluffy and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- On a skillet cook and stir onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly translucent, 3- 4 minutes. Add diced tomato and cook 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Place quinoa, onion, garlic and tomato in a mixing bowl. Stir in basil and oregano, salt and pepper. Wait until the mixture cools then crack one egg and add to mixture. Stir together. (optional: add black beans and corn to mixture and replace basil and oregano with cumin and chilli spice.)
- Remove tops of bell peppers and remove all seeds from the peppers. Place quinoa mixture in hollowed out peppers. Put peppers in preheated oven in a baking dish and cover with one can of crushed tomatoes. Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven.
- Bake until the peppers are slightly tender (approx. 20 min). Remove aluminum foil cover; sprinkle peppers with mozzarella or cheddar cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbling and melted, about 5 more minutes.