To make this recipe healthy and wholesome, we substituted whipped butter for regular butter, whole wheat bread instead of white bread and chose a low sodium vegetable broth. You can also follow these helpful tips to keep your diet in check during the holidays: space out meals three to four hours apart, stay hydrated and keep low-fat snacks on hand.
• ¼ cup whipped butter
• 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms,
• 4 celery ribs, chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 12 cups unseasoned whole wheat bread, chopped into cubes
• ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1½ teaspoons rubbed sage
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
• ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
• Optional: tofu crumbles or chicken sausage
1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat.
2. Add mushrooms, celery and onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes.
3. Transfer to a bowl. Add stuffing cubes, parsley and seasonings; toss.
4. Whisk together eggs and broth. Pour over stuffing mixture; stir to combine.
5. Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours.
For more healthy recipes, check out Westmed’s Wellness & Care page at: www.westmedgroup.com/recipes