Are you planning a football party? We’ve got a terrific, nutritious chili recipe for you and your guests from Jennifer Schaeffer, RD, WESTMED dietitian.
(serves 4 – double or triple recipe as needed)
1 T. olive oil
1 pound 94-99% lean ground turkey
1 can light kidney beans rinsed and drained (can substitute dark kidney beans or cannellini beans)
14 oz. can diced tomatoes
6 oz. light beer (can be replaced with chicken broth)
2 T. chili powder (can add more to taste)
1 ½ tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
¼- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper for heat (optional)
1-2 T. of 0% plain Greek yogurt
1 T. scallions, sliced thin (or finely minced onions)
1 T. reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1) Add olive oil to deep pan over medium high heat.
2) When pan is hot, add the turkey and brown and crumble it.
3) Add the remainder of the ingredients, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
4) Allow the chili to cook for 30-45 minutes.
5) Place chili in a bowl to serve and top with cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt and scallions.